METHODS FOR PRODUCING POLYESTER-GLASS COMPOSITES
VACUUM BAGGING TECHNOLOGY
Vacuum bagging technology is one of the simplest methods to manufacture laminates, which is an intermediate method between traditional hand laminating technique and infusion or RTM. It consists in placing in a mold covered with gelcoat consecutive layers of reinforcing materials and their wetting with catalyzed resin, just like in the hand method, followed by assembling layers/installations making possible suction of excessive resin in an earlier prepared product.
Advantages of this method:
- reduced weight of final product,
- possibility of using molds from hand technology – wide flanges are required, which can be extended on every mold,
- greater participation of reinforcing materials in the total weight of composite (over 60%),
- uniformity and repeatability of product.
Limitations of this method:
- additional technological activities,
- additional material waste in technological process,
- necessary training of personnel,
- necessary use of vacuum installation.